From: brenthartwig@hotmail.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Floating Sub Trailer Options
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 22:05:54 -0700

Hello James,

Yep those are basically what I'm talking about, but the ones I've seen let the air out of the pontoons. Those Sun Stream ones you posted a link to, rotate the pontoons out and up to the sides. I had not seen that type before. Very very interesting, thanks for the link James.

Now just take one of those Sun Stream Boat lifts and attach a trailer to them or design it to sit on a trailer, and your going in the direction I'm thinking about. For a sub, I would mount it lower then they are mounting those boats. To keep the CG down, unless your going to make it so the pontoons can spread apart more for added staybility and being able to lower the sub between them.

How ever if you have a pontoon system much like the Sun Stream's boat lifts, but make it so you can let the air out of the pontoons with a mushroom vent and then have some additional non flooding floats mounted up on bars above the sub, but attached to the sides of the floating trailer. Well then you could submerge the floating trailer further down if need be to get the sub to float on it's own, and use the said non flooding floats to keep the trailer/sub dock floating.

UltraLift-2 "UL2" Model from Hydro Hoist Boat Lifts are what I was originally thinking about. There polyethylene tanks submerge below the water.

http://www.boatlift.com/products.aspx?PT=1

Here is a inflatable float type boat lift from Air Dock, that is very much along the lines of what I was talking about to attach to the lower areas of a sub on a standard trailer, to get to sub to float much sooner when being backed into the water.

They just use a 12 volt blower to inflate them, and then they say it takes about four minutes to deflate them after you open the valves. There are some small internal air chambers in these that keep them afloat, and to also use to realign the boat with when your ready to lift it again.

http://www.airdock.com/

Regards,

Szybowski

Regards,