RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Floating Sub Trailer Options

Hi  Glen,  Now you've done it. You've got a very sharp can opener. Another can of worms I see here. I was thinking along those lines for the larger 35 foot floating pontoon trailer I was thinking about using to hold up my tow vehicle on the water, and tow the sub with, so I don't have to leave any thing behind, and perhaps leave the water from another location. Once the tow vehicle is lifted up between the pontoons/amas, I would need to drive the whole works into the water, and later also out of the water. This arrangement would also include retractable and steerable front tires.

Since which ever end of the floating trailer that is put into the water first, will start to float soon after entering the water, the remaining end will need to have the powered wheels near that end of the trailer, to come in and out, as well as keep the trailer from scraping the ground.

Some time back I was working thru some ideas for a submarine SUV and needed a way to deal with the compressible and overly buoyant air in your standard pneumatic tires.  Then I came across a new type of free flooding wheel, called the Tweel, by Michelin Tire Company. But as far as I know they are not available as of yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tweel

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/actualites/en/actu_affich.jsp?id=17448&lang=EN&codeRubrique=4&actu=true

http://images.google.com/images?q=tweel&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DKUS_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=fIZBSsuHC4Pu-AbSqeDACA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title

Then I took a look at the company called Setco, that a gentleman by the name of Buck Hill owns in Idabel, Kansas. As some of you might know, Buck Hill helped Karl Stanley build his last sub.  Setco makes really tough mostly solid rubber tires for heavy equipment. Some of the tires they produce have some great traction. These I consider to be a possible option for fully submersible to depth submarine wheels, that could be installed on a sub in many different configurations. Then you can just drive your sub off it's trailer, and into the water. Among other things.

http://www.setcosolidtire.com/

Even better for traction would be to use a rubber track system like you see on small track hoes, and some Bobcat earth mover units.

http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/models

http://www.mississippisuperads.com/Farm_Equipment_Classifieds/C511A482545P1/kubota_diesel_trackhoe.aspx

http://titantracks.com/?gclid=CLC229XKoZsCFUYA4wodxlO-Cg

I had not thought about water filled wheels. Why not rum or the like?   arrg ;}  I'll have to ponder that one for a bit.

As far as oil filled hubs go, the first ones I've seen were on the fifth wheel trailer, that is being used to haul the S101. Here's some pictures of that trailer.

http://cid-5085d10eb6afe47c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Fifth%20Wheel%20Trailer%20for%20the%20S101/DSCN7388.JPG

Regards,

Szybowski