Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 6:26 AM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Floating Sub Trailer Options

Hey Frank and Brian,  My relative that has build a good number of nice trailers, likes to use Torflex rubber torsion suspension axles from Dexter Axles. They have a nice clean look and they are lighter then your standard leaf spring axles with the same load capacity. This also mean you can get away from rusty leaf springs if you wish. There attachment means is simpler as well.

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/product_flyers/Torflex_11-06.pdf

http://www.dexteraxle.com/products___literature

Dexter also carries a line of axleless wheel assemblies for those that want to be able to lower a sub between the wheels with out the axles getting in the way, and to be able to transport the sub with it having a lower CG when on the trailer. These axleless wheels are much like the larger ones you see on the semi truck trailers that pick up bins of freshly picked fruit, and then transport them to the packing houses.

I've toyed with a few ideas for a floating sub trailer that you could let most of the air out of the pontoons to launch the sub, like some ski boats are launched from a float system that is attached to a dock with a air compressor to refill the float system. But I think I would rather have the floating sub trailer with it's small walk around deck to stay on the surface so the launch crew don't have to get wet if the sub is being launched away from a dock or other support boat.

Here are some pictures of one of Aerocet's models of amphibious floats. The retractable wheels with disc brakes are very nice.  I have been thinking about a larger floating sub trailer with two sets of wheels like this to be able to handle the weight of my tow vehicle, when it's is being floated by the trailer after the sub has been launched. But that's another story all together.  If I was making my own floats then I was thinking of making attachment arms for electric thrusters, that are attached to the retractable wheels assemblies, so that when the wheels where retracted, that the thrusters would come down in there place to save on actuators.

http://cid-5085d10eb6afe47c.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Floating%20Sub%20Trailer%20Options

Regards,

Szybowski