[PSUBS-MAILIST] alternative to trolling motor lip seal?

Doug, you're comment made me think of an interesting possibility. I'm using some custom-order seals from Parker called "Flexiseals". They're rated to 10,000 psi and to high shaft-feet-per-minute velocities, but essentially they're just lip seals with extraordinary engineering and materials. The catalog is here: http://www.macroseal.com/pdf/Parker%20Rotary%20Seals.pdf

Because there's such a huge number of possible combinations of materials, shapes, and dimensions, Parker custom builds the seals to order. But it isn't that expensive. For a one inch shaft, which obviously is much bigger than a trolling motor, these Flexiseals cost about $250 -- for a production batch of five which is the minimum order quantity. So $50 per seal, probably less on smaller ones. You just have to wait a month or so to get them after placing the order.

It would be interesting if someone wanted to do the legwork and find out whether a Flexiseal could be ordered that would be a direct replacement for ordinary trolling motor lip seals.

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of djackson99@aol.com
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 12:34 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Minn Kota V Motor Guide

It tis a shame, because they are made right here in Tulsa.  I've even been over and talked to the guys and the factory.

 But check this out; Lenco uses MotorGuide motors for this system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6xfglrow6A

If you replaced the shaft seals with better quality lip seals you would have an off-the-shelf dual thruster control system including dive plan controls.

Best of Luck
Doug
SubmarineBoat.com