Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Submersible Cost and Time to Build

Wil, and all. The steel versus concrete hull is apples and oranges. I see advantages in both methods. Cost and formability being the biggest factors in choosing concrete. Collision and modification/repair being the high points for steel. Concrete is VERY heavy too, making it difficult to "haul-out" if you wanted to move it overland.
In a post a couple of days ago, I commented on epoxy/glass and I still believe that's probably where the future of small subs will be based. I still like steel because it's a material I'm familiar with, and it'll take a real hard hit without breaking. I wonder if any one has tried using stainless for the hull? I think my next sub may be made with it. Frank D.