Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Problems with initial

Alec did more or less the same after we talked about it. Did you ever do a before and after amp load test? I'm curious about the friction/turbulence losses with the motors in oil.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Cottrell <greg@precisionplastics.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 10:24 am
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Problems with initial

Hi Vance,

I’ve always filled the motors with light oil and forgot about them. I just drill/ tap the motor housing for a pair of small barb fittings and connect them with a loop of clear tubing (make sure you get tube that stays flexible in cold water). The oil with travel through stranded wire so you’ll also have to strip the insulation back on a small spot, solder a small area and then pot the wire with a urethane or epoxy compound. As for the oil, WD-40 works great- It displaces water and won’t attack electric insulation or rubber seals. There’s always talk on the internet about fear of metal shavings getting in the oil but as far as I can see you just get a little suspended carbon and it doesn’t seem to have any effect on how the motors run.

Greg

0A