From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 12:26 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Problems with initial

Hi Greg. That's great info on using WD40 as compensating oil.

It's low viscosity, clear so you can monitor contamination easily, and can be found in even the most remote areas.

How deep do you expect the oil system to go. I've heard that Minnkota's without any thing added are good to about 100 feet, but that just sounds overly optimistic. I would think 50 feet "out of the box" would be more likely.

On the motor housing......Is it necessary to drill and tap separate fittings into the housing ? Couldn't we just use the shaft mount coupling where the wires come out, add a plastic tube from there to the through-hull, and fill it all with oil ?The wires are epoxy sealed at the through-hull.

 On my design, I'm using spade connectors that come installed on the motors from the factory, although the wires are shortened to about 16 inches. The plastic  tubing will be sealed and clamped onto barb fittings at each end, and the connection sealed again on the outside with liquid polyurethane, for a triple seal.

The fitting on the motor points down so if a little water was to get in there, it should settle to the bottom of the loop and be easy to observe after each dive.

Frank D.