RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sea Scouts project videos

Thanks for all your comments, advertising and honesty after viewing the videos. A lot of questions have been asked trough those messages. Let me try to answer all in a confused order!...

-The picture of the of the sub in working condition is from around 1983... but the last owner used it until the beginning of the 90'. He stopped after his co-pilot and friend die...(in a car crash.) The sub always worked well before this time.

-The hull is 15 feet long, 54 inches in diameter and about 6 tons according to the last owner. The pressure hull is made, at my guess, of  ½ inch thick steel without ribbing inside. Allan gave me an estimated weight of 8 tons and a crush depth of 228 feet, considering a thickness of ½ inch. Jon, where is that hull-condition tool on psubs website?

-The sub had been already carried by...a school bus, a pick-up truck and even slowly by a Chrysler without any break under the trailer. Naturally, this trailer is not legal anymore and will need to be fixed or replaced.

-We will count on Pierre Poulain support and hundreds of calculations to decide if this project is viable or not. We paid 2500$ CAN for the sub... which is a cheap price for a Sub101 lesson without wasting our time. We are planning to put another 15 000$ on it and probably more. I am not confident to finish it before 3 years at least.

-We use to dive to a maximum depth of 250 ft in lake conditions. Usual depth should be around 70-100 feet most of the time. So we need a security crush depth of at least 500 feet.

-The last owner had a kind of floating dock made of 45 gal. plastic barrels mounted on a frame, with a crank to launch and lift the sub. We are searching for any photos of that. They used that structure to flood the sub unmanned at 400 feet when they first buy it without any crushing, only a slow leaking of the front port side viewport.

-The MBT is on the top and there is two droppable weights on each side (which pound?) Two battery pods are under the hull.

We will wait the spring for more investigation and then we could bet on the horse or not!

Thanks for your support and conselling.

Thierry

Messenger vous offre des tonnes de nouvelles fonctions qui rendent le clavardage encore plus plaisant Cliquez ici pour en savoir plus.