Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] sonar research

Glad to hear the testing phase is in progress. A couple things that come to mind.

1) Deep water test is necessary. Based upon our "pinger" experiences we know that reflections and such can have impact on results. It's possible that the ice covering helped or hindered the test. As soon as possible, one hydrophone/transmitter set should be lowered to deep water (minimum 300 feet) and then tested with the surface unit. This would also help with pressure testing the transmitter housing.

2) Salt water testing. Our pinger tests showed a dramatic decrease in performance within salt water as compared to fresh water. We need to know the capabilities of the communicator in a salt water environment.

3) White paper. We could really use two pieces of documentation. The first, providing the theory of the design and a walk through of the pitfalls that were encountered along the way. The second being a parts list and "how-to" so that people can make their own. I have the wiring schematic from David which I will be posting as soon as we figure out if we want a separate project page for this.

Jon

marki katschor wrote:
    Hi All, Today we made a trip to a small pond to test the two sonar
    transmitter units i recived from David Bartsch. We found a ice
    hole and made one 58 paces from that one. Set up the two units
    just by lowering the hydrophones and transmitters a foot or two in
    the ice water, the ice was a foot thick. The hydrophones pick up
    super sound. The voice transmitting worked well but next test i;m
    going to mount the underwater parts to a poll so i can point the
    units at each other for better pickup and transmit. I'm happy,
    thanks David. Dave-thats $200 plus the four amp kits-$45 ($245 per
    unit).. I think the next test this week will prove more than 200
    feet from one ice hole to another. I have been working on my sub
    at a shop where its warm,, working on the last window #12. The
    minkota motor thruster swivel thru hulls- cost $100 a set if
anyone wants a set. Leslie Katschor