RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] sonar research

To all:

  Let me take the time to first thank Les for two things...

  First, Les financed the construction of both consoles #2 and #3. This infusion of capital is the primary reason we are able to produce these testing results so early, as without it, it would have been late Summer or beyond before I would have reached this point.

  And secondly, I for one am grateful to Les for having ventured out onto a frozen pond and with the use of a chainsaw, cutting the needed holes in thick ice so that this first testing session could be accomplished at all. I am sure that He was less than comfortable in doing this.

  So this system actually works quite well!

  Additional testing will follow and the full capabilities of this simple system will be known. Of note is this broadband voice transmitter is said to be able to handle a full 30 watts of power without damage...With this system, we are using but a mere 2 watts peak-to-peak so we have much room to expand.
  I have ordered a amplifier kit that appears to be no larger in size than the 7 watt kit now in use but that will provide 18 watts of output.
  I have tried to keep both channels of like electronics so that should one fail to operate, the other channel can provide both transmit and recieve functions simply by altering the input and output devices. (It is always a good idea to have backup system on board submarines should something go wrong) This 18 watt amplifier kit is product number CK0706 at Carl's Electronics and cost only $19.95 plus a small shipping fee. To view the available kits from this supplier, go to: Electronickits.com and look under "kits". This particular amplifier still makes use of only 12vdc, but kits are available that produce higher outputs but use higher supply voltages such as +/- 24vdc. (One step at a time)
  In addition to testing other amplifier circuits, another area to be investigated is the reduction in size of this communications console so that smaller submarines can also deploy this system with ease. Kyle in Duluth has offered to assist me in this area with his k-250 as a test bed submarine.
  Anyone who wishes to attempt making a unit of their own can do so with a provided schematic soon to be posted on the club web site. I will also be available to provide technical assistance or can build these units one at a time as requested ...just get with me.
  One thing...stop by Radio Shacks and obtain 5 pin DIN sockets Pn 274-005 as these are listed as obsolete and are needed to plug in the cb styled handset. I cleaned out our local store of 18 of them. (Get with me should you need one and can't find any)

  Great job again Les!

                                                                                                                                            David Bartsch