Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Anti-Condensate Coating

Hi Jim,

There's quite a bit of material on the web regarding anti-condensation coatings, although I hadn't heard of this until you posted your email. I found http://www.chemicoat.com/ which has the following on it's website.

"AQUABAN is a permanent, water based coating which when applied to a thickness of 1/32", will prevent condensation by absorption and desorption. This action widely disperses water vapor and releases it back into the atmosphere before dripping occurs. Thus the coated surface remains dry to touch."

In a plant or yacht there would be transfer of air which would make the coating very desirable. In a small enclosed area like a submersible cabin, the water vapor still would have no where to go as it was released back into the atmosphere. If it absorbs a certain amount of vapor before releasing it back, then that could be beneficial if the absorption properties are greater than the amount of vapor produced. If so, it sounds like the coating could possibly be used as a build-in "dehumidifier". And if it has insulating properties, that would be an additional benefit.

Jon

Jim Kocourek wrote:
Hi All,
I received an interesting call from a potential customer yesterday. A Yacht builder (Burger Boat) near me asked me to price application of an anti-condensate coating to the interior of the hull of one of the yachts they are building. I had not heard of this coating previously! This product is a high build latex product that I assume has some insulating properties. This may be good for subs. Any of our more experienced hands have any info or thoughts. When I find out more on this end I will update. The Burger yachts are all aluminum construction, so I think the carry-over for us might be good. Best regards, Jim K