Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pitting Rust against Voids

Hi Brent. As an "old school" welder, I can suggest grinding all those weld areas out flush, with special attention to the "under-cut" areas. That's not so much a heat problem as it is the welder not watching close enough what the puddle is doing. Still, it's pretty easy to repair. On the "pits" from corrosion, just make sure you grind it out really clean, pre-heat the area well, and use the same material to fill it in as the areas are made of. A mig gun is good for that job if handled correctly. I usually prefer TIG over other methods because it's easier to see what's happening at the root, and eliminates any chance of inclusions or voids. But for filling in pits, a mig is fast, clean, strong, and easy.
 That hull still looks pretty good, and it shouldn't take too much to get it "better than new".
Hope you're doing OK with that nasty weather you're having. Frank D.