Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] New pics of Frank's sub.

Hi Pierre. Thanks. Actually, this was the first time I've actually made anything from scratch with fiberglass. I have done repair work, and bonded pipes/duct work in FRP before, but never made molds and fabricated anything large like this. It started out very slow, but as with most learning curves, it rolls right along now. Still, I learn something new every time. It's really quite amazing how strong that stuff is. The pieces vary in thickness from 3/8 inch to 1 inch at high stress points like the hinge areas, and I can climb and jump on it pretty much anywhere without worry. The thought here is to have a sleek fairing to shed water, but also to act as crash bumpers that are easy to repair. I've designed the mountings for the fairings to absorb/deflect any impacts away from sensitive components like windows, valves, plumbing, electrical and hydraulic systems. I expect to crash into rocks and stuff so fiberglass is a good choice. It's somewhat flexible, and if cracked or even smashed, can easily be repaired, even in the field. Plus, the compound curves and different shapes would be very difficult to make out of metal.
I considered making the ballast tanks from fiberglass too, but again, with the rocks, I think 12 gage stainless will be better. They will take a real beating before they leak.
Anyway, hope to still launch this summer, making it a two year project. Frank D.