From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of vbra676539@aol.com
Sent: 20 June 2008 14:04
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Viewports

See below, as best I can answer:

---- Original Message ----
From: Hugh Fulton <hc.fulton@gmail.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 4:36 pm
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Test Facility

Hi Vance,

I would love to have more practical oilfield experiences on the dome sealing or installation practices from you.

What type of grease, Vacuum grease; high density, low oxygen stuff, thick as glue.

What fit / clearances were they on diameter. All this information is available in Stachiw, and should be referred to for planning, construction and fit-up.

What type of domes 90 – 120 degree or 180 degree.  Perry and Hyco both used outer dimensions for their ports, and tailored the conical mating surface to whatever it turned out to be for that size. Perry had 36" ports on most of the boats, Hyco used 1 meter (40"). The dome angles ran 113 degrees or so from Perry, and I don't remember exactly what on Aquarius and Leo (both of which I piloted). Something greater than 113, I expect. You could work it out easily enough. For Aquarius, a 24" radius, 40" OD for the window...the chord height would be, um...well, I don't remember. I'd say 120 degrees or so for the inclusive frame angle, at a guess.

Where were the O’rings placed? The early ports (both flat truncates and dome segments) used o-rings in the seating area. Long term testing showed this to provide unwanted stress on the acrylic, under test circumstances, so later versions used the outer diameter corner for an o-ring from Perry and neoprene gastkets under the retaining ring for Hyco. There are any number of pictures in the books about viewport design. We never had a problem with them, but if you look at the early stuff, you'll see o-rings halfway down the window material, but in later boats, it's mostly hidden under the retaining rings.

What material were they using for the gasket/dome face etc. For normal duty, neoprene o-rings or gaskets work just fine. There are issues in very cold water where the neoprene fails to regain its shape in a timely manner, and red surgical rubber was used for that application. As for reinforcement frames in the hull, Perry used regular hull material, whatever that was, sandblasted and painted, then fine sanded for smoothness (hatch seats and what not were monel clad, just for your trivia answer of the day). Hyco used stainless steel forgings, which cost more initially, of course, but were for the most part trouble free.

How were the vacuum tests done. (Ie I cant imagine people sitting inside with soapy water in a vacuum. ). Vacuum tests were simple. Just put a vac gauge in the system, pump the hull down to whatever it would take, and then close everything off and watch the gauge. If it leaked, we'd assume initially that whatever we had been working on was leaking, and redo it. Otherwise, it might be a LONG night looking for some other weepy o-ring penetrator. Typically, this never happened. Maintenance was such that rust, any rust at all, was corrected in a timely manner, and the subs were overhauled on a routine basis so that the critical o-ring surfaces were renewed before any problems arose.

This sort of information is like gold.

How can we get hold of operations manuals for some of these things? I don't know where you'd find that stuff these days. All of us have bits and pieces, of course. I've got an ops manual for Pisces class boats, and for the JSLs, oddly enough, but not for the Perry's, which is what I operated for the most part. I can't for the life of me tell you why that is so, but there you go. I'm writing a book about the period, and have a bunch of the boys digging through their junk drawers, so maybe something will come from that.

Listening hard to your experiences,  Thks,  Hugh