From: irox <irox@ix.netcom.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 1:56 pm
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sub launched ROV

Hi Frank,

so you have a reel.  On the reel is your cable with power and fiber.
One end of the cable is attached to the ROV, the other end is
attached to ????  One solution would be have an electronic hub in
the center of the reel, this handles the optical comms, then feeds
the signals threw a high quality (expensive) swivel connector.  Since
the whole drum is rotating, either the submarine end of the cable
gets very twisted up (which very bad for fiber optic), or you must
let it rotate.  I would prefer to avoid this electro/mechanical joint,
also I'm not so into the idea of sending a lot of power over the swivel
connector.  Also, I would have to have some sort of housing to
protect from the pressure.

What other options are out there?  Keep the drum static and have
an arm pull the cable off and feed out (or back in).

Cheers,
  Ian.