From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Hugh Fulton
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 18:07
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] uneven charging

The best solution, I have been told,  is to use 2 volt cells in series.
This is how forklifts etc do it as it is very hard to get the internal
resistance of batteries to be the same. Forklift batteries generally have 2
volt cells that are up to 2000 Amp-hours per cell. This is why you should
always recharge batteries, that are in parallel, in isolation.  Also
batteries left in parallel can discharge themselves through this unevenness.
All this was explained to me by a battery importer.  Makes sense to me but I
am still going for parallel as the 2volt cells with high amp hours are a
crazy size physically.  This probably explains some of the problems I have
in my boat which has 3 batteries in parallel.  It is very common advice in
the marine industry that id you are using batteries in parallel you should
use the same manufacturer, size and model of battery.

Hugh