From:   owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org On Behalf Of Jay K. Jeffries

Sent:   Friday, May 09, 2008 6:44 PM
To:     personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject:        RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] uneven charging

Forklifts and large submarines have a luxury that unfortunately we cannot afford in PSUBS and that is the use of large volume batteries.  An application closer to us is the scooters used in tech diving that are used to explore miles of underwater caves in a given dive.  They test their batteries by measuring the various discharge rates of batteries and group similar discharge rated batteries together as they have the same charging rate and do not display the issues described in previous posts.  They are tested regularly over their lifetime to insure matched service.  When you purchase batteries, you can request that the battery firm provide you with a matched set for a small premium and thus save buying a bunch of batteries and matching them yourself.  If you replace one, you have to replace all to keep matched service.

R/Jay

Respectfully,
Jay K. Jeffries
Andros Is., Bahamas