RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RFC - dive operations

To all,

   To best inform everyone as to the dirrection or method of underwater comunications our group will eventually persue, allow me to explain the required compatable equiptment needed to cross comunicate between two submurged submarines using our system.

   Our system does not use radio transmissions at all. Active (talk or transmit) uses voice audible sound transmissions into the water via a transducer and is covering 10hz to 18khz broadband. Likewise, the hydrophone for the returning response will also use the full range of human hearing.

   In short, this feature will be a secondary purpose to the passive hydrophone listening device our group is now developing. A surface "radio" system will still be required of like or compatable equipment with the rest of the group. Think of this system as a possible backup should radio communication within the medium of water fail to rendure the needed results. I believe in redundancy or fail safe backups.