Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hatch fabrication dilemma

Hello.Is the stainless ring a half inch thick? It should be pretty easy to relieve the stress and flatten the ring if it's only that thick. My first choice would be to use heat and try to flatten it, rather than cutting out anything.
A half inch seems kinda light to me. Are you cutting an ""O"" ring groove into the ring ?
I had a similar problem on my hatch, but the ring is one inch thick, and only tweaked about a sixteenth of an inch. Still, the stress is there. The hatch dome is three eighths thick and with several weld passes both inside and out, I got the ring pulled in a little.
You might try using two or three torches and a hydraulic arbor press. get it really hot, and press it back to flat. If you don't have access to the equipment, it shouldn't be too expensive to have a shop do it.
Frank D.