From: Dan. H. <jumachine@comcast.net>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 7:58 am
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] battery charge level

Brian, This a VERY good question!

I have a sub and don't have a handle on it. I have a small digital volt meter wired in, so I can monitor either of my three battery systems, one 24V two 36V. The voltage varies quite a lot depending on the usage. After using it and when there is no current draw, the voltage keeps climbing back up, and what it go up to seems to depend on how long the load had been turned off. I don't find much stability in the voltage. When the batteries are almost totally depleted, there is a noticeable reduction in prop speed, but by then there isn't much left.

Just to be safe, my sub is wired where I can switch between the two 36V pods. They are both used during a dive but on always runs out before the other. When either runs out, it's time to quit for the day.

The same problem when charging. It's a guessing game when the batteries are totally charged.

If anyone has a way to monitor, I'd be grateful to here it.

Thanks, Dan H.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Cox" <ojaivalleybeefarm@dslextreme.com