Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2007 14:49
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] viewport groove

Frank,

I'd recommend you look up specifics in publications like Machinerys Handbook, but when you do you should find the recommended groove to be rectangular, with width and depth about 1.5 and 0.8 times the diameter of the ring section. On a sub, it's common to make the inside diameter of the groove slanted, so that it will retain the o-ring. You don't want the o-ring sticking to the hatch land and dropping out of the groove when you open the hatch.

rgds,

Alec