RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Real Live Submerge Testing on a 12 Volt Lawnmower Battery

Some of my battery experience :

-The sgt. Peppers (outside) lead /acid battery and thrusters are pressure compensated by a scuba regulator. Works fine but sometimes  little water enters the system.

Never felt an explosion in salt (brak) waters

-Because the thrusters and battery’s are interconnected, hydrogen can enter the thrusters. Despite ventilation , once a thrusters did “whoem” when started.

-once we forget to seal the tow loose connectors from the battery’s to the hull: the 6 mm contact corroded trough in 30 minutes! Yes the hull should be not connected to the negative pole to prevent excessive corrosion.

-A 14 AH motorbike battery failed .The battery was overloaded when it had to crank a 160 ampere turbine starter. It blowed out large quantity of corrosive steam. I don’t like to happen this at 100 meters with a 200AH battery………… Another reason to have scuba gear onboard

-I regard closed gel batt. saver for inboard use, but the Nemo crew encountered a near explosion when the automatic charger fails to swith off.  They had round battery’s!

Regards, Emile

Ps. Does anybody know til how deep you can use an uncompensated gel battery?  If the air chamber is small enough….