Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Interior Paint

Brent,
The main reason for the use of light colored (white) paint in any confined space is that white reflects light easily and with a limited amount of light available, will enlighten almost anything within while conserving power doing so. On the other hand....The interior surfaces of a real periscope are painted flat black to reduce any image that would otherwise distract the operator. This I feel should hold true to viewports as well.

From: "Brent Hartwig" <brenthartwig@hotmail.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Interior Paint
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 11:38:49 -0700

I always loved going into the pet stores that had blacked out aquarium rooms.  You could see the fish so much better without your eyes being distracted. I used to be an aquarium enthusiust. In my sub, I just want to see the critters, my gages, and control levers, nothing much else. When I raised pet birds, I hated white cages, since it distracted the eye, away from the bird inside it.

Brent