Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2007 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Diver Lockout.... serious question here!!

Understood, density is the factor. However, compression of bearings and the like isn't the problem. Correctly designed, the pressure can material withstands the compression without distortion. Ultimately, the problem with air filled 1 atmosphere cans is more one of the rotating seal, and entrained sea water which, inevitably, corrodes the polished surfaces. This isn't a guess, rather it is a report on real circumstances. VERY DEEP, however, makes the entire discussion moot, and if you've got a working mag coupling that I can afford, then I want one (or several, come to that). My friend Ian Blaimire, who founded the Seaeye Corporation, made his living with replacement ROV thrusters which had mag couplings (which he cooked up while working with us at Intersub) and provided an amazing improvement in service life. Oh, boy!!! Just think, no shaft seals. Whooee! Sign me up!!!
Vance