Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2007 3:19 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Thruster pressure compensation

I'm curious why these devices don't use water filled pressure compensation?

Positives:
1) Water is a MUCH better heat conductor
2) The viscosity of water is much lower than oil, leading to less internal drag
3) No environmental concerns. Cheap and easy to handle.

Negatives:
1) Corrosion must be considered.  Ferrite magnets, steel laminations, etc.
    The metal-working community uses various amounts and types of oil in coolant water to
    reduce or effectively eliminate corrosion. I wonder if this can mitigate this big concern.
2) If you have a leak, you won't know until enough salt & minerals diffuse into the motor to create problems
3) Must use distilled water (tap water has additional minerals which may deposit onto surfaces)

Neutral:
1) Both water and oil are compressible to about the same amount.  Water is about 0.34% per KSI, and Oil is about 0.5% per KSI.
    Either fluid will require a flexible bladder/accumulator to compensate for volume reduction at significant depths.
2) Both oil and distilled water are non-conductive.
3) Dielectric strength would seem to be irrelavant for a low voltage motor.

Thoughts?

Mark