Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] NR-2 Thruster Arrangement

Joe,

I just noticed (the light finally went on) about something you posted
earlier:

"Directional control one hand....rate (current flow) the
other. Joystick back all four thrust downward for rise, joystick
forward all thrust upward for descent."

I would probably do this different. If done in the appropriate manner, the
controls could be setup proportionally. The further you pushed the
stick...the faster the movement would happen(well the more thrust in that
direction would happen).

This would simplify your controls greatly. One hand doing thruster control
(up, down, left, right, and spin about it's vertical axis), and the other
hand handling the rudder(possibly differential primary drive motors)  and
primary drive motors. This does depend on the method of rudder control and
the extent that you are willing to take the control system. This would make
the system totally in both hands other than ballast control, which could be
done as well, but that can be discussed later.

This doesn't simplify the surfaced maneuvering problems of the vessel. You
could put an additional button to enable the horizontal thruster for surface
operations(this would also disable the x thrusters). Then the standard
controls could be used.

All of this sounds expensive, but it can be done much cheaper than most
people think. Hence the reason I want to help. Plus I need a project to help
with.

James Long
Owner/Designer
Lil Brother LLC (Instrument Division)