Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Mig welding a sub

Jay,

I noticed you used the word "testing" not the word "Inspection." (Well.....sort of)

Testing and inspection are different things. I am not against testing anything, I would absolutely test my hull past the operational depth to insure that I'm not going to die in it. This would be unmanned.(Naturally)

On the other hand, I will probably not x-ray inspect every weld contained on the pressure hull.

So are you saying if you build, going to build, have built a sub you are going to have (or had) every pressure hull weld inspected by x-ray? ( if you are planning to go below 500 ft. I know you are.....I probably would too.)

I want everyone to understand, this is not an argument, just a discussion.

I'm debating the necessity of some of the more elaborate "inspection" methods.

The pressures involved are relative to what the desired target operational depth. Therefore, if I'm trying to achieve a depth of 250 ft. I should build a sub capable of withstanding 500 ft. (this is for safety margin, as we all know)

On the other hand......if I'm trying to obtain 1000 ft. I realistically need to build to a safety factor of 2000 ft. If you ask me.....that is a huge difference. The physics do not equal out, anyway you calculate them.
(It should be noted, I plan on a pressure hull with structure inside, which to some may stray from typical design, I don't know, but thought it may need to be known.)

I think someone can (and actually have) build personal subs, MIG weld them, test them, and use them. This is not what I consider a short cut. It's just a different method of analogy. If I build a sub for an operational depth of 250 ft. and test it to 400 ft. Are you saying it will not be safe operating at 250 ft?

Yes.....sure I could lose a huge investment(sinking at test time), by having it sit on the bottom of the ocean, but I can take that risk. The cost of the other method would probably make the sub cost more than twice as much anyhow.

I did not ever say that a true test of the pressure hull isn't necessary(unmanned). I don't care if you x-ray every weld in the whole sub, the true test is depth test. There are many more things that can cause the submarine to fail. I see many more things that are likely to fail than the welds.(If done properly)

Please also let me reiterate, I'm speaking for myself, not for the whole community/new-guy/perspective builder/etc. This is my viewpoint, not anyone else's, it should be read and taken as such.

I don't want anyone on this group thinking I'm debating this, to prevent others from doing what they feel necessary, to be safe in their submersible. If you feel you need to stand on your head, cluck like a chicken, swallow peanut butter on the first day of launch, please feel free to do so. (the afore mentioned was to be funny, not to be an ass.)

I'm just not convinced the need of x-ray inspection.

James Long
Owner/Designer
Lil Brother LLC (Instrument Division)