From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Norm
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 9:01 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Welders

Weldments of HY-80 are noted for good ductility, notch toughness and

strength. It is best welded using the metal-arc process with low hydrogen

electrodes of Type E-10018 or E-11018. Use approved weld procedures so as to

not apply too much heat input per inch of weld bead, which would otherwise

cause degradation of notch toughness. Electrodes should be warmed before use

to drive off any moisture to avoid hydrogen pick-up in the weld. Preheating

is not required, except for very heavy section thickness welds or heavily

constrained welds. Post-heating is not required but a stress relief anneal,

after welding of sections of 1-1/2" thick or greater, is desirable. However

the alloy may be used in the as-welded condition. From:

http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/HY80.asp#General   A good

source of info.

I am a welder and would suggest taking a class or two at your local vo/tec

school.  Learning to weld right the first time on a submarine project would

be best.

Also, you metioned welding on the farm.  I would suggest purchase of

welder/generator of 8,000 to 10,000 watts "Miller, Lincoln".  Good power

range and compact.  Around $3,000.00 new or there are used always around.

Good thing about the welder/generator, it can be used for emergency power!

I hope this helps.

V/R

Norm Parmley