Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Welders

Weldments of HY-80 are noted for good ductility, notch toughness and strength. It is best welded using the metal-arc process with low hydrogen electrodes of Type E-10018 or E-11018. Use approved weld procedures so as to not apply too much heat input per inch of weld bead, which would otherwise cause degradation of notch toughness. Electrodes should be warmed before use to drive off any moisture to avoid hydrogen pick-up in the weld. Preheating is not required, except for very heavy section thickness welds or heavily constrained welds. Post-heating is not required but a stress relief anneal, after welding of sections of 1-1/2" thick or greater, is desirable. However the alloy may be used in the as-welded condition. From: http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/HY80.asp#General A good source of info.

I am a welder and would suggest taking a class or two at your local vo/tec school. Learning to weld right the first time on a submarine project would be best.

Also, you metioned welding on the farm. I would suggest purchase of welder/generator of 8,000 to 10,000 watts "Miller, Lincoln". Good power range and compact. Around $3,000.00 new or there are used always around. Good thing about the welder/generator, it can be used for emergency power!

I hope this helps.
V/R
Norm Parmley