RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] stress levels in a concrete submarine yacht hull - troll

Wilfried,

While we have been talking about your submarine hull and Troll, these structures depend on the great compressive strength of concrete.  Concrete doesn’t due well under tension (this is why concrete panels are pre-stressed and glass fibers are added to improve concrete’s ability to resist tension loads).  How would you propose using concrete to accommodate Carsten’s lock-out chamber that is also used for decompression (which would put the concrete deco pressure vessel under tensional load when the sub returns to the surface while still maintaining divers at some greater depth of pressure)?

R/Jay

Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

  - Aristotle