RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Distress Buoy

Alec,

Most of what I've read from the ROV world indicates that regular coax cable
gets stiff in cold water which makes it difficult to work with.  So even if
space was not an issue, I wonder whether the line would have fed out from
the spool efficiently enough to make it realistic.

This discussion sounds like a potential "chapter" in any operation
guidelines that we might eventually publish.  I'm wondering if this is an
area that you'd be interested in pursuing further Alec and make some
recommendations on.  For example,
 1) Is an antenna buoy feasible?
 2) If so, what materials are used?

Assuming materials are not an issue, what classes of distress buoys can we
identify as practical?

Jon

>From: "Smyth, Alec" <Alec.Smyth@compuware.com>
>To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
>Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Distress Buoy
>Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 17:17:46 -0500
>
>I wanted to put an antenna in my buoy and researched using a coax cable for
>the line. But it seemed the electrical losses could have been a problem
>over the length I needed (300 feet), and the cable diameter was definitely
>a problem because I had very limited space. I ended up using very thin line
>from parachute canopies, purchased off an online skydiving store, which was
>thin enough to fit yet can take a strain of 1,000 lbs.
>
>Here's a link to what the big boys do on this topic...
>
>http://www.hydro.gov.uk/content/amdAttachments/2006/annual_nms/ANM8%202006.
pdf