RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Another danger for psubs? [was: Sub news]

Considering the location..."Strait of Hormuz"...and what is publicly known about our sonar ability to identify targets via onboard database. I wonder if Newport News was purposely shadowing the tanker as an exercise when this happened. Perhaps the military guys can comment.

I suspect the Japanese are not too thrilled with our sub force with Greenville and now this.

Joe

From: Ian Roxborough <irox@ix.netcom.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Another danger for psubs? [was: Sub news]
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:43:02 -0800

Seems the tanker, while traveling fast caused the submarine to be
"sucked" to the surface where they collided:

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=117352&ran=77484

I didn't really considered being sucked to surface by a passing
vessel before.  Yet another reason to choose dive sites carefully.
Although, I think it's best to avoid operating a psubs in waters
with traffic, but who knows what's comming around the corner while
you're submerged.

Ian.