RE: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K-350 Reinforcing Rings

HY-80 steel is a real bear to work with.  As previously mention, pre-heat and post-heat are a real issue.  We had to have the torpedo loading skid mounting holes filled and redrilled due to an issue.  VERY HOT heating pads were placed in the area to bring up the temperature in preparation for the welding and then had to be left on for a long time afterwards.  The temperature also had to be stepped down as part of the post-heat also if I remember correctly.

HY-80 is very susceptible to cracking; our hulls had to have continuous NDT to insure their integrity.  Any potential issues had to be ground and weld filled.  Besides, it is very expensive if you can procure it, very difficult to work, and a pain to maintain.  There are a lot of other choices I would make for hull material before HY-80.

Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas

Natura nihil fit in frustra