[PSUBS-MAILIST] Stainless hatch ring

When I put together my domed hatch ( in my machining class)  I first had the hemisphere fabricated and then I had a 2" ring welded to the edge of the hemisphere.    At the time I was not really clear on how everything was going to come together and now in hind sight I realize that the 2" ring that I welded on should have been stainless steel instead of what I used.

My question is,  can I fabricate a stainless ring and connect it to what I have now ?   I could remove some of that material ( the ring part ) which is 3/4" thick so as to reduce the weight.  I'm afraid if I don't make that ring part thinner the hatch will be too dam heavy.

If I do add this new stainless ring should I just weld it to the existing ring?  and then put it in a giant lathe and machine it true?

Here is a picture of the hatch cover:

http://www.ojaivalleybeefarm.com/Brian's%20Sub/My%20Sub/Submarine.htm

Thanks

Brian