From: Alec Smyth
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2005 12:02 PM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Inner / Outer support ribs.

Myles I should tell you getting those stiffeners in was far and away the hardest part of building Solo. It took me three months of work to get the first ring in. But it certainly worked as a method for stretching the hull into roundness. This is a 3/8 thick hull of only 31" outside diameter, so not very stretchy. If I remember correctly, the out of roundness prior to inserting the stiffeners was about half an inch difference between maximum and minimum diameters. With stiffeners in, I can't detect any out of roundness.

My method was as follows: Roll the ring in along the greater diameter, then try to straighten it until normal to the hull. I tried hydraulics and failed. I tried icing the rings and heating the hull, but that failed too. The latter is what Phil Nuytten does, but I presume his hull cylinders are much higher quality (rounder) than mine. What worked for me in the end was a very long lever built to hook onto the end of the hull cylinder, chained to 1/2" holes drilled in the stiffener web. I built a motorized table for my mill-drill machine, with which I could gradually reduce the diameter of the stiffener by a few thousandths after each unsuccessful attempt. I did this lots of times, on each iteration getting closer to straightening the stiffener all the way. Of course, the hard one is the first stiffener, and after that they go fast.

rgds,

Alec