Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dive planes

Some uninformed, unproven comments:

I'd say that in general as the size of the vessel is reduced the relative size of the control planes will increase.  The Nautilus planes are low aspect ratio, longer than they're wide, so they should continue to work at low speed.  Similarly they might be a little scary at high speed and would create a bit more drag than a higher aspect ratio fin.

They're probably arranged roughly equidistant from the center of mass and so should allow for gliding up and down while keeping the boat horizontal.  Actually controlling pitch would require differential operation of them fore and aft.

I think the Kraka planes show a modification that you see on a lot of low speed aircraft, that backward swept leading edge section may have been added later to increase the area of the planes.  Also a swept fin like that does help prevent stalling so should keep working at low speeds.

I was wondering too, have you talked to Pat Regan or looked at his Nautilus minisub?  I don't think he gives a lot of technical design info on his site but he'd probably be happy to talk about it.

Paul