From: Dan H.
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 7:59 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] hull test

Bill,

A sub on land near sea level has 14.7 PSI (average) pushing on the outside of the hull and 14.7 PSI pushing on the inside of the hull.  It's in balance...... Correct?

Suck out the air from the inside, that is, remove the 14.7 from the inside, and you create an imbalance condition.  Zero PSI on the inside and 14.7 PSI on the outside.  Nothing doubles!

Face it, there's no way to test a sub at depth greater then 30 feet other then a pressure chamber or just placing it at depth and see what happens!

Dan H.