Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 7:51 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydraulic thrusters

Hi Dan,

Well I guess we will see... I just ordered my "test" 1 HP motor and pump and am going to bread board the system before coming to any final conclusions. (Once the system is up and running I am going to mount it underneath a small boat of mine for testing) But my submersible design is much like the Soucoupe, I have no propellers and they would probably not work in my case for the designed shape of the submersible.

A 1 HP electric motor turning an efficient hydraulic pump can push a whole lot of water through two vectored thrust nozzles I have learned from my research and calculations. The noise problem, if it exists, can be solved through sound proofing the motor mount and motor housing. The hydraulics have the advantage of being easily throttle able and require only a small hull pass through as I have mentioned.

Plus I am interested in the concept... But experimentation will tell. If it does not work at the bread board stage, then I have all the parts for a great log splitter!

John