Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Nemo's Nautilus

Hello Group, [snip]

Then I came across both the Venture craft Sportsub and several other commercially available designs and the thought of an ambient pressure diesel-electric boat has been swirling about ever since.

The Sportsub was originally fabricated here in BC, a suburb of Vancouver called Surrey.  It was directly based on a semi-dry ambient sub designed by another Floridian by the name of Kent Markham.  He was a high school teacher, I believe, and it was originally intended as a school project if memory serves correctly.  The sub was featured in the June'71 issue of Popular Mechanics.  Plans are available online.  Try PSUBS.

In terms of a diesel-electric, wooden submarine, your heart's in the right place!  We have many islands up here and surface travel without a support boat sure is nice.  Have lunch and dive when you get there.  Just don't guzzle any softdrinks.

[snip] know some of you will be horrified at the thought of a "wooden" submarine but, modern epoxies and quality marine-ply should make it doable for an ambient pressure design. With proper consideration of scantlings, I believe the ship would be robust and seaworthy [snip]

Absolutely correct.  Keeping in mind that the hull is just for hydrodynamics and sea keeping, materials and building techniques don't have to be anything esoteric.  Plywood/epoxy is fine, especially if you lay up your layers perpendicular to each other [two layers] or at 45's [if three layers].  The diesel, of course, is not used for propulsion, just battery charging like the fleet boats.

Operational rules would be as follows.

#1 The boat never submerges unless those aboard are certified divers. Internal pony bottles and at least two points of egress would be provided. (Most likely Freeman hatches).

IMHO, Freemans are overkill in an ambient boat.  Two points of egress ain't a bad idea.  Pony bottles are a must.  In our cold water, a neoprene hood and dive mask are essential for a safe swimming ascent.

[snip] #3 The boat never initiates a dive in water depth greater than 30' nor ventures where the bottom is greater than 50'.

If all aboard are divers, then you could start your dives deep(er) and gradually ascend.  Certainly what you describe is a conservative policy and well worth following during the break-in period (of the captain, as well!)

In S Florida, that means most of the premier diving locales in N America are within a short distance and quite accessible.

Um, mind if I edit that?  ;-)   I have some flag waving to do, and, yes, it is sub related.

That would be some, not most of the premier diving locales, and that would be America, not N America.

Out here on the Wet Coast of Canada, we have very accessible areas called the Strait of Georgia, Desolation Sound, Vancouver Island, Barclay Sound and more.  Use GoogleEarth for some fantastic imagery.

Much of it has vis of well over 30 metres in winter, oxygenating currents that provide tremendous volumes of plankton for sea life, of which consists of, but is not limited to, sea urchins, huge octopus, orcas (killer whales), huge sea lions, dolphin, shark, harbour seals, anemones, coral, big big crabs, grey whales, jellyfish, huge schools of fish, wreck diving par excellence, forests of beautiful kelp diving, wall diving to blow your mind, and, well, more.

Submarines out here would have a field day.  That's why your particular affliction for what I refer to as a touring sub appeals to me.

[snip] How much airflow in cfm is required to maintain ambient pressure from the surface to 50'?.

None with regard to maintaining ambient pressure per se.  It is not a function of rate except when descending.  What you do need to calculate is your cabin air volume and the rate of flow from your low pressure valves.  If the cabin oil-cans a little you'll be mighty uncomfortable  :-)

Once at depth, the only rate to be concerned with is the life support air flow.  I will be using scuba regs for breathing so for me it's a moot point.  I will, however, have a dehumidifier.

Cabin compensation will consist of a gang of six scuba regs with the mouth ends inside the cockpit.  The six regs will provide a very large volume of air if needed, not to mention redundancy.  As the sub descends, water pressure will force the diaphragms inward.  The partial-vacuum in the cockpit will draw air from the regulators into the cabin area.

#2 Does some manner of scantling rules exist for GRP designs?

Yes.  Consider wave action, walking on deck, support for cleats, anchor chain stowage, etc.  The usual found in conventional boats.

What you and I, and other dry-ambient types, are looking at is essentially what you so aptly described as a fleet boat going down for an occasional dip.  Having said that, my Typhoon will have a very robust cockpit, mainly to handle pressure differentials from large wave action over my head and, um, errors in depth keeping where the regs may not be able to keep up.

#3 Has anyone else built an ambient design of marine-ply?

As above, the Sportsub.  Well, actchalee, it's GRP.  BTW, you don't need marine ply if it's going to be sealed by epoxy AND it won't be living in the water.

[snip] I envision this being done with "off the shelf" components but, if I am overlooking something unworkable I may stick to the surface design.

Off-the-shelf will be more than adequate.  As I pointed out above, ordinary scuba regs will suffice for cockpit compensation and life support.  The down side, btw, in using special pressure sensitive valves mentioned in other posts (not exactly off-the-shelf) that detect ambient pressure, is that they will release air into the cabin through one orifice generally.  That will be a large volume of air screaming into your cabin.  That's why I've elected to go with what I know: several scuba regs.  By their very nature, they are pressure compensating.

Incidentally, another Hurricane, (Wilma) is heading my way tonight. We are shuttered up and hunkered down so I may not see any responses until after power is restored (could be a week or more). I thank you in advance in that event.

Good luck - we do not envy you.

Rick Lucertini

Vancouver, Canada