Re: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RimTec Magnetic Clutches

Thanks Andy for that solenoid relay link. But after talking to Paul, I have come to realize that perhaps I do not even need a relay but instead need

a pulse width modulator. I can read some things on a wiring schematic, but some symbols I do not understand. I am very lightly educated when it comes

to designing and hooking up things electrical. I can do some, but I am pretty much a complete novice in that regard. I just barely grasp the difference between

amps and volts! I feel so ignorant when trying to design, build and hook up THIS part of my sub project. I realize I need more knowledge in this regard, but I did

not want to have to become an electrician just to finish my sub. When I read articles about how ROV builders design and build their own electrical system I find

my brain switches off and what I am reading becomes mush and martian in my mind. My ignorance on this is soooo frustrating!  I am very good at the mechanical end though.

So even though it sounds like what I need is a pulse width modulator, I am wondering if I need a solenoid relay of some kind to turn that on? Does the PWM not need

a relay solenoid?  I have no idea what a pulse width modulator looks like. Is it a circuit board? Or is it something in a sealed housing that looks like a solenoid?

Are there some types more suited to a sub than other types?

I know what I want to do. I want the motor to run at a variable speed and for my speed control to be waterproof. I just don't know exactly what parts to use. If I knew

what parts to use I might be able to figure out how to waterproof the switch part that controls the variable speed actuator once I knew what it looked like. I guess I could

not be lucky enough to find a water pressure sealed  pulse width modulator with a waterproof trigger, knob or whatever type of  actuator it uses to work it. But the more

questions you and the other fellows help me understand, the closer I am coming to understanding what I need. It is a long educational process. Thanks for your help.

Bill.