Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2005 6:50 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] My "Hammerhead" 1atm sub design-

I uploaded a rough sketch (colored pencil drawing) of something I just recently thought of.

I got the inspiration from a space-fighter design in a computer game and realized that a tilted cylinder would provide plenty of room for a person to sit up comfortably, and would create the option of using relatively large windows that only have to be bent in one direction. Something even the most back-yard PSUB builder should be able to do.

I sat in a chair at my kitchen table and pulled out the tape measurer. A 3' diameter cylinder would give me enough shoulder and foot room. Tilting this cylinder creates a more ergonomic layout where the pilot can be reclined comfortably. The cylinder (without endcaps) is 7' long, which gives 5' of sitting room (6" more than my 5'10" self needed when sitting straight up, so it should be good for much taller people- especially when reclined. The top endcap would be the hatch, with a stiffening ring below it with hand-holds and perhaps light mounts. There is a stiffening ring in the center which helps support the 6' long by 4' wide plexiglass window. Likely further vertical support will be needed for this window. The CO2 scrubber would be located under the pilots seat. The external battery box would also come into the sub from beneath the pilots seat, as well as the control wires for the three thruster.

There would be two thrusters mounted on either side and slightly behind the cylinder, the speed could be controlled separately to facilitate turning, though the rear thruster (and in this picture a rudder- though that will likely be gone on the next draft) would be the primary turning device. The two forward thrusters will be able to rotate up and downward, and likely left and right (possibly independantly) to control pitch and yaw and skid the sub almost sideways.

The air tanks would be in a rack mounted to the upper half of the cylinder, and at least three would be stacked in a small pyramid formation. I'm thinking that in the next draft, with the rudder removed I could mount six tanks (two rows of three).

The battery box would provide ballast to keep the sub upright. Not shown are the skids that would attach to the lower end-cap and the external frame. These would be filled with lead pellets or cement that could be dropped in an emergency.

Also not shown are the possible "wings" I've considered putting near the top that would aid in entering and exiting the sub, provide a good place for mounting lights, and house inflatable air bladders for added buoyancy compensation.

What do you think?