Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] My "Hammerhead" 1atm sub design-

Thank you Pierre,

The main inspiration in putting this design down on paper was due to the single-curved acrylic viewport. It's something I think I could handle making by myself.

The sub shouldn't sit more than 10' high when upright, so I shouldn't have trouble trailering it as minimum bridge clearance is over 14'. The benefit of having it so tall, is that I should be able to get the hatch a good 3' out of the water when surfaced to facilitate and easy in-water, unassisted entry/exit. I suppose I could cruise it into shallow water by an island, surface and toss out an anchor! Also, being vertically oriented, the ballast doesn't have to be below the hull at all, only below the top half. I'd actually like to have it neutrally balanced so I could "fly" it on its side in shallow water, where it could possibly run in 5' partially surfaced. This could help me over some of the local sandbars, etc.

To balance it fore/aft so it doesn't go through the water facing upwards, I will indeed need some sort of fairing with extra buoyancy to balance it. Again, the vertical orientation will help as the battery box (which should serve as most of the ballast- I'm thinking it should be made out of cement and pressure compensated with argon) will be partly under the top section of the pressure hull. Likely I'll just shape some foam and fiberglass it for strength and abrasion resistance.

I've do a few more sketches and scan them in...
Brian