Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] For Brian. pressure equalization of trolling motors info.

----- Original Message -----
From: Akins
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 6:44 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] For Brian. pressure equalization of trolling motors info.

Hi Brian.

If you submerge your batteries in oil as you described you will contaminate your acid and water mix in your batteries with oil, since the oil will seep into your batteries thru the battery vents that all lead acid batteries have that you may not be aware of or even see.

This will probably ruin your batteries.

If you pressurise your motor at 20 psi permanently as you described you will very likely blow out your motor's prop shaft seal since it is not designed to have inside outward pressure on it constantly. You do not want to PRESSURIZE your motor to 20 psi, rather you want to pressure COMPENSATE your motor against the outside water pressure.

Rather than see you pressurize the motor permanently to 20 psi, I would recommend that you just leave the motor alone and do not pressurize it at all. Minnkota rates and guarantees their motors to 33 feet bone stock. I have read that many people have used them to twice and even three times that depth with only a failure rate of 4 to 5 percent. But if you keep 20 psi of pressure on the inside of your motor all the time both at depth and at the surface, you will likely blow that prop shaft seal on the surface.

In the below posts I am including from the defunct message boards of the Vulcania sub site, another person did just that. Permanently pressurized his motor and blew his prop shaft seal out. (guess it wasn't so permanent after all, lol) Be sure and read it.

Here are some posts concerning this subject that I have saved from the now defunct message boards of the Vulcania sub site. You might want to read these, they talk about this exact subject.
The expert in these posts is Pat Regan. He is the builder of the one man nautilus dry sub and also the builder of 20,000 leagues beneath the sea WORKING replica dive suits. He works in conjunction with Disney now also. He knows his stuff.
Kindest Regards,
Bill Akins.

Posted by B. Suttie on January 11, 2004 at 14:34:48:

Hello, you have a great site, thanks for the time you obviously put into it. I am in the process of a redesign of an ROV that I built and used last summer. The ROV worked great, but in this redesign stage I am looking to increase the depth range of the trolling motors. I understand that tranformer oil can be used to fill the motor housing and equalize the pressure on the motor. However, I have also heard of pressurizing the motor housings with compressed air to achieve a similar effect. Have you tried this technique, if so how did you go about pressurizing the housing, and have you been happy with the results.
Any help you could provide me on this would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Pat Regan on January 11, 2004 at 15:48:47:

Thanks Brent, I'm glad you like the site.

On pressure compensation of trolling motors:

MINN KOTA rates their motors for one additional atmosphere over surface pressure, or 33 feet depth. Techs admit that people have been using unmodified motors on submersible projects down to three additional atmospheres, or 99 feet, with an approximate 5% failure rate.

The O ring seal can be replaced with a matched ceramic conical seal, but this usually involves machining the shaft to a close tolerance of a few microns. That involves disassembling the motor; and when taken apart, it's important to time the brushes correctly and torque the housing properly during reassembly or she won't work right. This kind of modification should be done by an experienced E-Motor tech. And then, the depth increase isn't as good as what's achieved with compensation.

Actually, a MINN KOTA will run for a while when flooded with water; it will run slower, however. The danger comes from the brush springs rusting and breaking, which will result in an unexpected total failure.

Though MINN KOTA doesn't officially recommend it, saying "gums up the brushes", motor lower ends can be pressure compensated by filling them with transformer oil. The trick is to impart a slight vaccuum to the case when filling to eliminate any voids that would defeat compensation. The case must be totally filled with oil. This will result in some reduction in armature rotation speed, but it will serve to compensate the motor.

People also compensate with air pressure from a tank. I've done it by plumbing air lines from a pressurized source to the housing, and also equipping the housing with a one-way check valve as an overpressure release. In practice, I open the air supply valve occasionally, the air pressurizes the housing, and the overpressure goes out the overflow valve. The right amount goes out because the external water pressure is all that's holding the valve shut. When the pressure inside the housing is greater than the ambient water pressure, the one-way valve opens to release the excess. Thus, we don't overpressurize the housing and blow the seal. On the way back to the surface, the reduced external pressure on the exhaust valve allows the greater pressure inside the housing to escape, again avoiding overpressurization that will blow the seals.

A second stage SCUBA regulator can also be fitted to the housing as another means of pressure compensation. If it's at the same depth as the housing, or maybe a couple inches deeper, depth pressure acting on the diaphragm will admit air to the housing in the correct amount. Overpressure will be exhausted through the regulator when surfacing.

Despite what you might have heard, doubling the O-rings on the shaft will not double the depth capabilities. If the depth pressure is sufficient to defeat the outer seal, it will then bring its entire pressure to bear on the inner seal which will also fail because it's no stronger than it's external counterpart. All double O-rings do is provide a backup if the outer seal fails from wear at depths the O-rings are designed to withstand.

Hope this helps. Thanks for posting your question here where others can benefit from it.

VBR,

Pat

Posted by Pat Regan on January 28, 2004 at 13:23:27:

: Hi

: Iown a sportsub sambiaent pressure submarine designed and sold by international venture craft. The Minkota motors on all sportsub are pressurised from the inside. I have had no problems wih my sport sub when taking her down to 130 feet.

Yep. Ron Leonard and friends at IVC do a great job on the SPORTSUB. Send me some pictures of yours. Maybe I can set up a SPORTSUB page in the SUBMARINES department.

Air pressurization is a good way to go; I prefer it, in fact. As long as the pressure inside the motor lower end housing is approximately equal to the ambient depth pressure outside the sub, it's like she's running near the surface and watertight integrity is as good as it ever was.

I've had some guys say they think air compensation is too complex. (Of course, these same guys don't build or operate subs, but there ya go.) Anyway, it's really not any more complex than the other things one needs to do to drive a submarine, and not nearly as complex as some folks might imagine.

My advice to anyone running an externally mounted E-motor on a sub, DPV, or ROV: PRESSURE COMPENSATE!

See you underwater! ;-)

Pat

Posted by john on June 03, 2004 at 03:51:29:

Hi Pat

Thanks for responding. what I am trying to do is pressure compensate my trolling motor so that water does not enter. I would like to use these motors for a small wet sub design. I was looking at the trolling motors on the INVC sport subs which I was told were pressurised to 140 psi which makes them water tight to 300 feet. I tried pressurising my motor by adding air down the trolling motor support arm were all the wires run through, but when pressurised air blows out around the shaft were the prop is attached. These motors I have are brand new. I'm pretty sure the boys at INVC modify there motors some how to allow for 140 psi pressurisation as the sport sub uses a scuba regulators low pressure port as the air feed into the subs air system. I am realy baffled about this topic and there isn't much out there in the ways of help after searching the net. Maybe INVC change the seal I don't know and Ron isn't to quick to release secrets which I respect. If you can help me figure out how to make these motors air tight it would be greatly apreciated. I only want my sub so dive to 100 feet max. Maybe trolling motor modifications would be a good topic for your site.

Thanks

John

Posted by Pat Regan on June 03, 2004 at 15:01:13:

Sure John, no problem. Actually, there's a fair thread on this subject here on the Board already. Scroll down and read PRESSURIZING TROLLING MOTORS by B. Suttie, and my answer to him.

A section of the forthcoming MANUAL also deals with Pressure Compensation.

In response to your recent post (above), the following comments; (and please don't think my use of CAPS is SHOUTING; there's no way to underline or italicize words on this forum, so I use caps):

We really don't want to PRESSURIZE trolling motors beyond ambient pressure; we want to PRESSURE COMPENSATE them so the pressure inside the case is about the same as it is outside at any given depth.

This means adding pressure to the housing, but ALSO either: (1) adapting the lower end housing with an overpressure release valve; or (2) using a SCUBA regulator which has it's own exhaust system built right in; so the overpressure can escape. That way we don't put too much pressure into the housing and blow the shaft seal from the inside out.

In reading your description of how you attempted to pressurize your motor through the structural shaft, and now have air escaping out the prop shaft O-ring, I'm afraid you might have blown your shaft seal already. I'd recommend having it checked before putting it in the water. If you're not absolutely certain of your abilities to disassemble the housing, check the seal, repair it if necessary, and reassemble the unit before putting it into service, I'd strongly recommend having an experienced motor tech do the work for you.

Regarding your other concerns: I think the thread on PRESSURIZING TROLLING MOTORS will answer most of them. Scroll down the list here at the Message Board and you'll find it. Beyond that, here's a few more thoughts:

For a wetsub, I'd pressurize with a second stage SCUBA regulator: (1) seal the structural shaft or housing wire inlet with something watertight like epoxy (being careful not to get it into the inside of the housing where it might gum up the armature); and (2) connect the regulator mouthpiece to the housing via an air line. You'll have to do little "adaptive plumbing" here: replacing the regulator mouthpiece with an air line adapter, and finding a way to route the airline securely to the structural shaft or directly to the motor unit.

The concept is that increased water pressure acting on the second stage regulator diaphragm admits only the right amount of air pressure into the motor housing; and any over pressure in the housing relative to decreased depth pressure (like when we're ascending to surface) will automatically exit through the regulator exhaust, not the shaft O-ring.

Hope this helps.

Pat