Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] sub buiilding business

Vance,

I used a mold for some of the tank alterations, and some I just created out of fiberglass over supports.

My forward MBT was molded in one piece.  I created a Styrofoam and plaster pattern, fiberglassed over that to create a mold and then laid up the MBT in the mold.  There is a pic in the PSUBS postings that shows all three parts lined up.

The aft MBT was laid up in a rough mold I created out of sand and mortar.  It was crude and resulted in a crude looking MBT but some sanding and bondo cleaned it up. My casting was about the same as a standard aft MBT.  After I had it molded I warped it with plastic food wrap and laid up what was essentially another fiberglass MBT over the top of it.  When that was cured, I separated it and cut it up to create the wrap around part of the rear MBT.  I just fiberglassed the extra pieces on to my original aft MBT and then worked it smooth with more fiberglass and bondo.

You can also create any shape you need to add on to your MBT's by grinding on a chunk of Styrofoam and either, cover it with plaster and wax, or cover the Styrofoam with plastic food wrap, then lay it up with glass and resin.  Fiberglass resin eats into unprotected Styrofoam.  You can then attach your additions to your MBT's with more fiberglass and resin.

I'm sure if you wanted to lower the sided of your existing MBT's you could cover what you have with food wrap plastic and lay up some fiberglass as I did, then cut out what you need from you new part and add it to your sides.  Fiberglass isn't that hard to work with and bondo fixes all your blunders.

If you just want to add a flat shelf to the bottom of your MBT's cover a piece of plywood with food wrap and fix it in a position that it will be where you want the shelf to be located.  lay up some cloth from your existing MBT and laying on your plywood then goo it up with resin.  After it cures, yank the plywood out, trim to shape, and you got a general form to work from. I created a shelf over my rear thruster like that.  To dress up the edges of my aft MBT, I fiber glassed around a piece of rubber hose. It bends into shape easy and when embed in fiberglass, it stays there.

Be careful not to enclose your MBT's so they will trap water or air if your get in an unusual position.  The Captain cautioned me about that.  He suggested I drill some holes in the ends of the MBT's so I wouldn't ever end up in the position of a floating buoy with a bubble of air caught in the end of one tank and no way to get it out or fill the other tank to get back to level.  If you look close at my pics, you'll see the holes.

Yes, I did use the strap to hold on the MBT's.  I used a stainless steel strap and stainless steel hardware to hold it tight.  Don't use RTV to seal it though.  Use urethane, It's better when in contact with sea water.

Hope you can follow what I'm trying to say.

Merry Christmas to you also, Dan H.