Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Complaints about submersibles visiting the Titanic

These are "tours" not scavenging hunts and grave robbing.
I don't see vendors selling shovels to curious tourists.
I do not think anyone, including me, is suggesting the
public or private to be barred from this activity.
It's the vandalism, defacing, and destruction of such
places and sites that are of concern. And as far as grave
sites go, I don't think the USS Arizona is driven by politics
as much as it is by reverence and tribute given to fallen
WWII vets.  After all, it is a rusting hulk of steel that will
disappear in time.  Besides, it is a chemical harzard to the
environment because it's still spewing fuel and oil. We should
get rid of it and clean it up.  I don't think the dead would
mind...do you?

How many of us have posted commentaries and notices about
documentaries on the History, TLC, and Discovery
Channels about expeditions and archaeology investigations
on wrecks.  We are 'interested' in the 'how's and 'whys'
of things.  These are well planned and organized searches
and excavations...not by casual poking and proding and
recorded with a video cam.

There are times we are driven by curiousity and a sense of history
and not by politics and legalism.
The Benjamin Franklin sits in the Maritime Museum in Vancouver-CA
rescued from deterioration.  The Hunley was carefully raised and
great care being given to it's restoration.  There are many other
examples, too. So, why go thru all this trouble for rusting steel
and rotten wood that will disappear in less than a century?

The Titanic tragedy was and is important in discovering the 'how
and why' of the accident so that future tragedies can be avoided
and improvements to ship architecture can be put into place. There
are documentaries on this too recreating what had happen. Had we
let salvagers and relic hunters have their way, perhaps, some of
the aspects of the sinking would go undiscovered.
Had the Titanic sinking occured today "no-one" would be given access.
The British equivalent of the NTSB would be out investigating the
wreck for months if not years.

Also, I think it's unfair to group all scientists and archaeologists
under one political agenda. I think a few of you are driven by
the media spew and emotions. I know people in the field who are
not driven by politics or wish to encroach on individual rights
and access. They simply want the facts and let the historians deal
with the interpretations aftewards.  And there was a commentary
about amateurs and 'someone's hobby'. I dare say most of the sub
builders and wanna-be builders here on this forum are amateurs
and pursue this subject as a hobby or avocation. Dedicated amateurs
develop an expertise and knowledge. This applies to all fields of
endeavor.

There are limits to everything. ' Just know what they are and
lets keep a vigil and watch on those uninformed individuals and
groups that will mindlessly subvert our ability to exercise our
rights as 'reasonable people' to be creative and explore! And I know I speak to reasonable and
creative people on this forum.

--Steve