[PSUBS-MAILIST] A look at theTwo man sub on ebay

Hi guys,
Took a 5 hour detour on a trip home today to swing by that sub for sale on ebay.
I looked at the "hybrid 250-350 ksub".  It has features of both.   Looks like the builder took many liberties with the plans.  The axles are bolted directly to the skids off the sub.  The first issue is that a single axle will be over loaded carrying a fully equipped sub.  He has oversized mbts to handle the extra weight of the axle.  Another issue is, what happens when the sub goes below the depth which equals the tire pressure?  Does the tire compress off the rim bead and lose its air and floatation?  The air in the axle bearing chambers will be displaced with salt water... another problem.  I'd lose the axles and use a trailer too.  The builder didn't think some of these things thru.

The bigger issue is that the welds on the endcaps and mbts are ground off to make it look good.  The welds may have been done properly but the guy ground them concave... below the surface slightly which makes me skeptical of everything else.  That's a BIG no-no.  Since it is painted with a fairly thick coat of paint, it's hard to tell if he ground down the welding at the base of the con tower or filled with putty to make it look smooth.  I know it doesn't look like the welds on the k350 we saw at the psub convention in New Hampshire last year. The mbts also are mostly enclosed on the bottom.  The main ballast plumbing is in, but that is all.

The guys selling it don't know ANYTHING about subs and think it's 90% done.
I have mixed feelings about it.  How much should be redone to insure integrity?  Nice paint job... but just more problems when you have to start welding and cutting on it again.  There was rainwater inside but otherwise not too much rust.  This IS the sub in the "for sale picture"  started by a doctor in 1989, long before psubs came into existence.

I'd kill for a sub done to this point if it was done right.  Not sure this is the one.

PS... I saw Karl Stanley on Monster Nation tonight.   AWESOME!

Gene Seus