Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Electronics at ambient pressure

> What happens to sealed electronic components at say 3ATM.  Surely things
> such as crystals, capacitors and sealed hard drives, which have an air
> cavity within them would crush.  Is there a way around this and if so,
what
> is it?

Hi, Graeme . . . the simplest solution would be to contain the electronics
in a pressure resistant container similar to a battery box (see archives on
PSUBS site under my name).  The connectors can be epoxy sealed at the wall
of the housing to provide both pressure and water resistance.  Anything with
a read-out can be encased in a Plexiglas box.

> I am aware that some of the community are seriously into ambient
technology
> and it appeals to me because of its simplicity, especially as I am really
> only interested in shallow water exploration.

Likewise my passion for it.  Added to the above is having much greater
freedom to monkey around with canopies rather than viewports, and, hence,
the overall experience of being u/w.

You've got me curious as to your application of electronics u/w.

My boat will have a depth sounder (bottom and forward facing), battery
gauges, and that's about it as far as anything electronic is concerned.  The
compass and depth and pressure gauges are already fluid filled, the
knotmeter is mechanical (casing may have to be vented), and if I choose to
use a decom meter, like the depth and pressure gauges, it'll already be
water & pressure resistant by its very nature.

Your applications would be for . . .?

Warm regards,
Rick Lucertini
Vancouver, Canada