Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] manipulator

Pierre,
It sounds like you have some experience!  Just the guy for the job.

Your excavator example is exactly what I was thinking of.  It would need to
rotate at the base, have a boom that moves up and down, a stick arms that
moved up and down and a clamping device at the end.  It would also be
helpful if the clamping device moved up and down rotated.  That would all
require six axes of movement.

As I said, I haven't done any real research on it yet.  What I would build
is only a small arm.  Maybe 18 to 24 inches extended.  Hydraulics has it's
advantages but so do electrical drives.  At this stage, I don't know which
way I'll go.  Either way, I'll operate it with six switches or levers.
Nothing more complex then that.  It takes a bit of practice to get used to
but not difficult to operate like that.  No more then any machine operator
does.

Even if it is awkward in operation, that's ok.   Keep in mind, it's for a
PSUB and not the Mars Rover.  As long as it works and has a reasonable
budget, it's do-able.

If hydraulic driven, it would only take a very small pump valve and piping.
A power steering pump is way to big.  I have one of those on an old fork
lift and more thousand pound pallets around with it.  Hydraulics has a lot
of power in a small package.  My manipulator will be designed around a 100
pound load in air or maybe even less.  In the water that's plenty of lift.
A small PSUB isn't stable enough or large enough to handle more then that
anyway.

It should be detachable, not a big thing at this point though.  First I have
to think through the manipulator.

Dan H.