Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] From Florida to Cape Code - Without Moving

Steve,

I called Bill Rand (1968 or so) and asked if the Sub could be toured. Bill responded that due to my job (EE) I was invited to tour the Sub and did so for about 1 hour. Bill was responsive to my questions. I was especially interested in the Battery system. Bill explained about the oil covering the batteries and how it was heavier than sea water so it would stay on the batteries. He said the oil was developed for submarine use by the Navy.

I went to a lecture by J. Piccard on the Sub, what I remember most was a question by a little girl about why the Sub was painted white. J. Piccard responded that he liked white and asked what color the young lady would like. The girl was too embarrassed to answer.

Ken Martindale