Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Euronauts Ballast and Trim System.

Hi Dan - good feeling - isnt it ? :-))

Hi Charles - is between the lines.

regards Carsten

Charles Perkins schrieb:

> Thanks Carsten for your excellent and informative reply.
>
> I have lately been wondering how to choose appropriate volumes for the
> hard and soft tanks. Your example gives me a useful baseline to work
> from.
>
> If you have a surface displacement of 57,5 ts and a submerged
> displacement of 67,2 ts then your 'air displacement', or the volume
> that is above the surface, is 9,7 ts... (ignoring, of course,
> free-flooding areas, but including anything of water-displacing volume
> which is temporarily above the surface.) This explains why submarines
> have small 'sails' and low freeboard.
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong!

Thats right.

> When you put the Euronaut in the water, how much freeboard do you
> expect to have? How much freeboard you think is necessary to be safe in
> the open sea? What sea conditions do you expect to be able to operate
> on the surface in? If it gets worse than that, you can just dive, of
> course...

Two kinds of freeboard:
For saftey and class requirements - the lowesr point with the boat in
surface condition - means hatch open - is the hatch. This freeboard can
be easy increased by increassing the hatch cylinder.
The other freeborad is the freeboard of the deck / hull - this freeboard
gives you the seaworthness.

Sample :

Boat type 1
Hatch opening 1 m over the waterline and deck 1 meter over the
waterline.  Tanks 10 ts

Boat type 2
Hatch opening 2 m over the waterline and deck 0,5 meter over the
waterline.  Tanks 5 ts

Boat 2 is more safe in fact of flooding via the hatch - but boat 2
is the better seaship.

If the boat is really small like a K-Psub - i prefer solution type 2. If
the boat is large than more in direction type 1

The freeboard of euronaut are :

superstructure deck   	= 800 mm
pressure hatch 		= 1400 mm
sail top hatch 		= 2100 mm

Boat can stay at any seastage - but crew maybe not. So if it get to
heavy we will resting on the ground - If we have a good waterdeep !

> Do most submarines reserve 15% of their volume for hard and soft tanks?

Between 10-30 % - large Russian more to 30% - large US more to 10 %
The 23 meter long XXIII of WWII has only 10% and that was clear to small
- but the Euronaut size Seahorse of Bruker Physik has only 6 % ! But
Bruker never called them "seagoing" but called the "For protected costal
waters.."

I blow both tanks out hard and soft to get an maximum seaworthness
because my hard tanks are relative big.

Make a matrix : put all boats of the size you wish in.
Wrote displacement and softtanks size in - than look for the reports of
the boat.. good diver , bad diver , all time under the wave at seastage
more than 4.. gives you a feeling. For a first calculation 15-20 % is
okay.

Both Euronaut and Sgt.Peppers has about 18 %.
Euronaut for seaworthness, and Sgt.Peppers so a man can stay on the deck
upright without capzied the boat over the side or the bow or the stern !

>   I guess that the larger the submarine is, the smaller the percentage
> can be to achieve the same freeboard. Very small psubs must have
> proportionately larger MBT.

Thats right. One trick is to increase the free flooding superstructure
of the deck and build a bouancy tank into the deck at the bow. Many
boats of WWII use this trick.

Euronauts surface speed is limited by her owen bow-wave at about 8-9
knots.  At this speed the bow wave climed over the deck and the boat
start to dive dynamicly into her own bowwave !
So surface speed is also a question of tank size and freebord - special
for this teardrop kind boat hulls .

> On the other hand, I would expect the size of the VBT in proportion to
> the rest of the boat to remain the same or actually get larger as the
> size of the vessel gets bigger because there is more mass to trim. I
> imagine a boat that will have a greater dynamic range of cargo (more
> people and equipment one day, less the next) will also have to have
> correspondingly larger VBT.

Yes thats more or less right - but normally the don't increase the tanks
size.. the just added more tanks.

VBT on K-psub - one in the center of the pressure hull.
VBT on Euronaut size boat - one at the bow and one at the stern
VBT on bigger boats :one stern, one middle  -one aft .. etc.ect..

> I think it is quite clever how you can use the Diver Lock Out chamber
> to blow the ballast tanks. That shows some good integration, and as an
> electrical engineer friend of mine often says... 'joined-up-thinking!'

I allways looking for double-function - and for saftey issues.

> Do you have sensors in the ballast tanks to indicate how much water you
> have in the tanks?

In the hard yes - in the soft not - the soft are allways dived with open
top valves - the bottom has an open hole - so they are full all the
time. On the surface somebody is looking from the sail - and if bubbles
of air comes out at the stern and the bow the tanks are empty.

After some time at havy sea we have to reblow the tanks because of some
flooding by the affect of the sea and dynamic impacts.

> In one of the photos you have placed on the Moki picture exchange, I
> saw what looked like a computer screen with a boat diagram and tank
> capacities. Is this system for diagnostics and status only, or can the
> computer control some functions?

There will be 3 Computers for diagnostics and status only. The controlls
are hardwired. I never will accept that mr.Gates control any part of my
boat.. ;-)
But the computer on top of the hardwire will be use for all kind of
diagnostic. Including seamaps, decompression diver calculation,
calculation of range, fuel consumption, video of the cameras and the
Rov. And much more. All 3 computers have the same software - so I can
lost 2 of them.